Fort Winfield Scott

Fort Winfield Scott

Fort Winfield Scott, Presidio of San Francisco

From the National Park Service:

On June 19, 1912, Fort Winfield Scott was established in the western part of the Presidio as a coast artillery post and the headquarters of the Artillery District of San Francisco. Fort Scott housed seventeen Endicott-era gun batteries that were constructed, armed, and manned between 1891 and 1946. In 1922, Fort Scott was designated headquarters of the Coast Defenses of San Francisco, which was renamed Harbor Defenses San Francisco (HDSF) in 1925. As HDSF headquarters, Fort Scott controlled most other army forts in the bay area, including Forts Baker, Barry, Cronkhite, Miley and Funston. Only the Presidio of San Francisco and Fort Mason did not fall under Fort Scott’s command.